Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash

I mentioned on Facebook that I made this last night, and a few people asked me for the recipe. I LOVED this meal growing up – I called it “Orange Chicken”. I modified the recipe a bit from my Mom’s, so this is my version. It may not be authentic Hungarian (I have no idea what Authentic Hungarian is), but it’s delicious.

IMG_9531


Hungarian Chicken Paprikash

4-5 lbs. of Chicken, dark meat – skin.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder – Sprinkle Liberally onto chicken.

3 tbsp Butter – melt in large frying pan, brown chicken in butter, then remove chicken.

2 Large Onions, cut in chunks
6-8 Carrots, sliced thinly

Cook Onions and Carrots in skillet for 5 minutes.

1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in 1 cup of water
LOTS of Paprika (Mom’s recipe calls for 1/4 tsp, but I’m almost positive it MUST have meant 14 tsp. I pour Paprika liberally in as if I were salting it.)

Stir bouillon and Paprika in, bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan, cover and cook over low for about 30 minutes. Take chicken off bone and return to pan. If too watery, add some corn starch mixed in water to the pan, heat and stir until thickened.

(I personally hate adding corn starch – I swear I can taste it. I’d just prefer it to be watery.)

16 oz Sour Cream – stir some of the hot broth into sour cream, continue adding more broth and stirring until sour cream is liquidy. Pour into pan and stir. Once sour cream is added, do not bring to a boil.

Serve over Egg Noodles.

1 comment:

Nathan Whitcomb said...

Awesome - can't wait to try it. Sounds like the same procedure as a stroganoff but a different flavor profile.